Try a New Fruit or Veggie
Bodies need nutrients – like vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbohydrates – to grow up healthy. These nutrients mainly come from the food you eat. Just as cars need gasoline to run, your body needs food to keep going. But not just any food. To be your healthiest, you need to give your body the right kinds and amounts of food.
Have Fun with Fruit
Fruits have important nutrients to keep your body healthy. Here are a few ideas of how to enjoy more fruit, more often:
- Grab an apple for a quick snack. Try different types like red delicious, gala, fuji or granny smith – there are over 7,500 varieties of apples worldwide!
- Join your parents on food shopping trips. Ask to try new fruits like peaches, cantaloupe, pears and kiwi – there are a lot of sweet and delicious fruits that you can have fun tasting.
- Make a fruit salad with a mix of strawberries, oranges, grapes and pineapple – or whatever else you have in the house.
- Mix it up! Blend frozen fruit, juice and low-fat or fat-free yogurt to make a healthy shake that tastes great.
- Top cereal, oatmeal, or toast with strawberries, blueberries or bananas.
- Drink 100% juice without added sugar – try fresh orange or apple juice.
Vary your Veggies
Vegetables have the vitamins, minerals and fiber your body needs to grow up healthy. Here are some simple ideas to eat more veggies everyday:
- Snack on veggies like baby carrots, cucumber slices, and celery sticks.
- Keep it colorful – make a salad with a variety of veggies, like corn, carrots, and spinach!
- Join your parents on food shopping trips and choose new veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, red pepper or sugar snap peas – have fun exploring colorful varieties, learning about what’s in season and tasting new foods.
- Try mixing vegetables into your favorite foods. For instance, order a veggie pizza with toppings like mushrooms, green peppers, and onions – ask for extra veggies.