Start Nutrition Education
Help your school become a healthier place to work. There are a variety of ways to do this, including the following:
- Be a role model to students for a healthy lifestyle. Lead by example. Walk with your students, and eat with them.
- Encourage faculty and staff to be active and consume healthy foods and beverages.
- Evaluate worksite policies for teachers and other school staff.
- Determine employee health-related costs.
- Identify nutrition and physical activity interests and needs of school employees.
- Establish goals for improving healthy behaviors among staff (e.g., increase the proportion of school employees that meet the national physical activity guidelines.)
- Obtain administrative support for school employee wellness programs that offer a variety of healthy eating and physical activities for staff.
- Implement a variety of healthy eating and physical activities that emphasize health education, skill-building, and changes to the school environment.
- Consider making changes to create healthier workplace, such as including incentives for physical activity or walking or biking instead of driving to school.
- Encourage "walking meetings," or make athletic facilities and equipment available to staff after hours.