There are some important questions to ask when you begin meeting with school and food service staff, including:
- What work is the school currently doing around health and nutrition?
- Who are the teachers or members of the school community that have been working on these programs?
- Is there a formal nutrition education curriculum used in classes?
- Does the school have a garden?
- Where can you see me being of greatest support to the school in helping to elevate the role of food and nutrition in your school?
- Who runs the cafeteria?
- Does the school run its own food service or do they use a food service provider?
- What goals does the school have for improved health and wellness?
- Does the school need to add a salad bar and/or more fresh fruits and vegetables?
- Would they like to procure more locally and sustainably grown foods?
- Can additional equipment be donated or acquired through grants or other funds?
Find more information in our Chefs Move to Schools guide.