Five Tips for a Healthy Start to your New Year
Making a New Year’s resolution this year? We’re here to help you start your year off right. Check out the ideas below to help your family have a happy and healthy 2015!
1) Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. By following MyPlate and making each meal half fruits and vegetables, you can help to ensure you are getting nutrients needed to lead a healthy lifestyle. Look for fruits and vegetables that are red, orange and dark green – they are full of vitamins and minerals.
2) Cook more meals at home. You can start with cooking just one more meal each week. The key is to prepare in advance and check out resources like the MyPlate board on Pinterest to find new recipe ideas that are both delicious and good for you. Cooking at home lets you control portion sizes and sodium levels and often leads to healthier meals.
3) Drink more water. You are what you drink, and when you drink water, you Drink Up. Keep a reusable bottle filled with water with you throughout the day as a reminder and an easy way to stay hydrated. To mix it up, try adding fresh fruit, like oranges or lemons, to your water for fun and a little flavor.
4) Try new activities. Discover new things you and your family can do to be active and have fun. Get creative and find activities that require little or no equipment so you aren’t limited by what you have or don’t have. Make being activity a priority by setting aside time for new activities and invite other families or friends to join when possible as a way to spend time together while also being active.
5) Make healthy changes together as a family. Involve everyone in coming up with new meal and activity ideas so each family member feels invested in the effort. Encourage your kids to get involved in preparing family meals and leading new games and activities.