Terrific Turkey Tacos
"We love tacos at our house! We have them once a week, on taco Tuesdays!” says Zienna. “We wanted to find a healthier way to make them. Something we all love, and simple for our fun family of seven! We love to serve them with different fruits on the side." - Zienna Peterson, age 10, Nebraska
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 whole-wheat soft tortillas
- Garnish: Shredded low-fat Colby Jack cheese, romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, and avocados
- In a large sauté pan, warm the oil over moderate heat. Add the turkey and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon until crumbly. In a small bowl, mix all of the seasonings and ½ cup water. Add to the turkey and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through.
- Warm tortillas in microwave. Serve with turkey and all of the garnishes. Roll up and enjoy!
286 calories; 12g fat; 26g carbohydrates; 19g protein
More information about the Kids' State Dinner:
- Check out the other winning 2014 Kids' State Dinner Recipes here.
- Learn more about Kids' State Dinner here.