Let’s Move! Columbia, SC Leads the Way
Besides being recently named one of “America’s Most Livable Cities,” Columbia, South Carolina has something else to celebrate – the city is doing great work as part of Let’s Move! Cities, Towns, and Counties!
Under the supervision of the Honorable DeAndrea Gist Benjamin and Councilwoman Tameika Isaac Devine, Let’s Move! Columbia has taken its messaging to the web, spreading the news of its good work city-wide. The City of Columbia knows that knowledge is key to empowering its citizens, youth and adults alike, to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are just a few summer highlights from Let’s Move! Columbia:
- Columbia’s Achievements Recognized at White House: Local elected officials from across the nation gathered with the First Lady to celebrate the anniversary of Let’s Move! Cities, Towns, and Counties.
- Active Kids at Play: A dedicated team of volunteers work with park staff to offer instructional training in a variety of sports for Columbia’s young campers.
- Girls Meet World: A local mentoring organization dedicated to the educational, social and cultural development of youth, ages 8-18, meets every Thursday to discuss leadership, communication, the arts, and health and wellness.
- Clemson Extension: Representatives from Clemson Extension facilitate a nutrition session for campers, complete with gardening and cooking.
- Bike-A-Thon: Columbia will be one of 10 cities hosting a 2013 Bike-A-Thon.
- Breakfast Ideas: Morning “grab bag” and breakfast smoothie recipes for busy families on the go.
Let’s Move! Columbia is also inspiring other local elected officials to sign up for the initiative! Encourage your local elected officials to join the movement too by becoming a Let’s Move Cities, Towns, and Counties member. Sign up here now!