Get the Kids and Get Active for National Exercise with Your Child Week!
Any parent will tell you – kids have a lot of energy.
That’s why this week is all about harnessing that energy and turning it into productive playtime! National Exercise With Your Child Week, which runs August 4-10th, encourages parents and guardians alike to empower their children to become physically active. Staying active together can help children build confidence while teaching them the importance of physical activity to lead a healthy life.
Children need 60 minutes of physical activity every day, but when you are having fun together, time flies! Here are some family-friendly ideas on how to get everyone off the couch and out the door:
- Have a hula hooping contest for the whole family.
- Set up a badminton or volleyball net in your yard and challenge your kids to a match.
- Get out the jump ropes and play Double Dutch in the driveway.
- Sign up for a family activity class for anything from yoga to dance lessons.
- Take your bikes to a local trail or ride around your neighborhood.
- Check out Let’s Move Outside for more ideas!
Kids can be excellent motivators. So while you are helping your kids stay active, you too are getting your recommended daily exercise and improving your overall wellbeing!
And who knows where this might lead – matching sweat bands for the whole family?