Spring Is Here and It's Time to GO!
With cities and towns across the country enjoying warmer temperatures and longer days, it is time to break out of your indoor routine and get moving outside!
Throughout the month of April, the Children & Nature Network is coordinating a series of free, outdoor events to promote Let’s G.O. (Get Outside)! a national initiative to connect kids and families to the great outdoors.
Hartford, Connecticut's Inner City Outings takes students from Capital Preparatory Magnet School out on a day hike to Pennwood State Park. After a great hike to the top of the mountain to enjoy the view, the group had an outdoor picnic/Christian Alvarado
Last year, more than 300,000 people participated in Let’s G.O. events in cities and towns across the country. This year’s lineup includes events ranging from nature hikes and fishing workshops to beach clean-ups and music festivals.
Outdoor activities like walking, running, bicycling, and hiking provide fun and affordable exercise options for the entire family. In addition to the health benefits of being active outdoors, regular time in nature has been shown to increase kids’ concentration and creativity levels, while lowering stress and anxiety. No matter where you live, there’s a way for your family to get G.O.-ing this month:
- Gather a group of friends and host an event at your local park or waterway.
- Join a G.O. event near you.
- Give back to nature. Participate in a service project in your community on the 43rd annual Earth Day on April 22.
- Visit a National Park near you and enjoy fee- free admission during National Park Week April 21-27.
- Become a Junior Ranger! Parks across the country will offer kid-friendly programs on National Junior Ranger Day on April 20.
- Plan a tree on Arbor Day on April 27.
So, what are you waiting for? Let's G.O.!