Walk to Better Health
Editor’s Note: This post includes information from More People Walk to Better Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Did you know more than 145 million adults across the country now include walking as part of a physically active lifestyle? Physical activity like walking can help us live longer and healthier. Walking can also help kids get the physical activity they need every day to grow up healthy. With the cool fall temperatures, now is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy a walk in your neighborhood or a hike in a nearby park. Check out the tips below to get started with your kids.
- Start a walking group with friends and neighbors.
- Take your children on walks around your neighborhood.
- Take your dog out for a long walk.
- Walk around the block after work or school.
- Walk to get places you want to go. Do you work near your home? Is your church or school nearby? Put on some comfortable shoes and try walking instead of driving.
- Venture to a local, state, or national park, forest, or historical landmark and explore a trail. To plan your outdoor adventure and get trip ideas, visit www.recreation.gov.