Recipe courtesy of USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov
Serves 12 (1/12 of recipe)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup eqq whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable-oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray and 8 inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients in an medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well by hand.
- Pour the batter into the sprayed pan and shake to make it level.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into 12 squares.
See other recipes in this series: