Mock Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Recipe courtesy of USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov
Serves 16 (1 slice)
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup milk, nonfat
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar (white)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs (large, beaten)
- ¼ cup evaporated milk, nonfat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, skin removed & mashed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add milk and oil to the flour mixture.
- Stir with fork until well mixed and then form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
- Roll the ball between two 12 inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk, strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper.
- Peel off top paper and invert crust into pie plate.
- Combine sugars, salt, spices and eggs.
- Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool and cut into 16 slices.
See other recipes in this series: