Recipe courtesy of USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov
Serves 6 (about 1 cup each)
- ½ pound ground beef (Or extra lean beef to reduce fat)
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups cooked, drained lentils
- 1 can (29 ounce) tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, brown beef over medium-high heat, breaking it into bite-sized pieces. Drain fat.
2. Reduce to medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat, until softened.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin. Cook on low heat for about 1 hour until flavors are blended.
4. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
See other recipes in this series: