Recipe courtesy of USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov
Serves 10 (about 1 cup each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, undrained (or beans of your choice)
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, and cook until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, beans (include liquid from both), oregano, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in rice and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
See other recipes in this series: