Berry Bread Pudding
Recipe courtesy of USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov
Serves 2 (about 1 cup each)
- 1½ cups unsweetened, frozen berries, thawed, undrained (or fresh)
- (blueberries, sliced strawberries, or raspberries)
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract (optional)
- 4 or 5 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- Vanilla yogurt (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the thawed berries, sugar and/or vanilla extract.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the berry mixture to cover the bottom of a 2 cup deep dish.
- Cover the berry mixture with a layer of bread.
- Spoon ⅓ of remaining berry mixture on top of the bread.
- Cover with another layer of bread.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 twice ending with a layer of bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place a plate or bowl on top of the berry dish that fits just inside of it.
- Place a heavy object on top to press down on the fruit and bread layers.
- Refrigerate overnight. (Check the dish to be sure juice does not run over the top. You may need to replace the heavy object with a lighter one to prevent spills.)
- Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
Note: In summer fresh berries can be used.
See other recipes in this series: