Easy Fruit Pocket Pies
Recipe courtesy of Chris Comerford and the White House Kitchen
No added sugar and hearty bread in place of flaky pastry crust make this dish a welcome dessert or a sweet breakfast. The White House uses raspberries and blueberries, but you can mix and match the berries you use to your liking.
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 18 minutes to 20 minutes
Cool: At least 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries and/or blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. smashed apple jam or apple butter
- 12 slices soft whole grain white or soft whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash berries and spread to dry on paper towels. Meanwhile, stir together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
2. For each pie, spoon 1 tablespoon of Smashed Apple Jam in the center of a bread slice. Top with 3 to 4 berries and another slice of bread. Gently press the top slice around the fruit. Trim crusts from bread using a serrated knife.
3. Using a fork, press the edges of the bread together to seal in the filling. Lightly brush the top slice of bread with some of the oil. Pick up each pie and, while holding in your hand, lightly brush the opposite side with oil. Place pies on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar.
4. Bake pies for 18 to 20 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted and bottoms are browned. Transfer to a cooling rack. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Smashed Apple Jam
Peel, core and slice 4 pounds apples. Place apples and 1/2 cup water in a 4 or 5-quart heavy-bottom pan over medium heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, until very tender. Remove from heat. Mash apples with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender. Return to heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until the jam thickens and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Transfer to a covered container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Read more about how to "Eat Like the White House Eats."
See other recipes in this series: