Mac-N-Cheese Muffin Surprise
Recipe courtesy of Job Corps' Top Chefs
"Job Corps' Top Chefs” was a food competition, culminating a three day summit, in support of Let’s Move! Two teams battled head-to-head in one of three categories: side dish, entrée, and dessert. Find the chefs' "healthier" interpretation of classic dishes here.
- ¾ Lb. whole wheat pasta
- ½ gallon 1% milk
- 3 ¼ cup low fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup diced broccoli
- ¼ cup diced sundried tomato
- ¼ cup diced red peppers
- ¼ diced carrots
- ¼ cup of diced red onion
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. of Smart Balance Butter
1. Boil water and add pasta, turning down the heat to medium. Drain but do not rinse off.
2. In a sauce pan bring milk to a slight boil add 3 cups of cheddar cheese, stirring constantly
with wire whip and until blended. Add 1 tbsp. of flour to mixture, simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Dice vegetables and sauté them with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Be careful not to overcook, vegetables,
they should be al dente.
4. Add your vegetables and cheese sauce to pasta, mix together.
5. In a small bowl mix ¼ cups of panko crumbs with 1 tablespoon of smart balance butter.
6. Grease muffin tins. Using a 4oz scoop, scoop mixture into each tin; top each one with a
sprinkle of bread crumb mixture and a little shredded cheddar cheese. Garnish with a piece
of sundried tomato and a fresh parsley sprig. You can also take a little of the cheese sauce
and put a dollop down on each plate and place the muffin on top.
See other recipes in this series: