Mini Meatball Orzo Soup
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray and Yum-O!
This is a great way to fill up a thermos! Orzo’s shape is fun, and so is rolling the little meatballs!
Makes 2 big thermosfuls
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
Heat the EVOO over medium heat in a medium pot. Sauté the onion and carrot for five minutes, then add the broth and bring up to a boil.
Mix the meat with cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. If the mixture is too moist, add a bit more breadcrumbs.
When the soup comes to a boil, roll and drop 1-inch meatballs into the broth. Stir in the orzo and cook for five minutes. Ladle the soup into two large thermoses. The pasta will not be done, but it will continue to cook while in the thermoses. Note: If you will be eating the soup right away, fully cook the orzo in the broth, according to the package directions.